Healthy gums are not only important for appearance but also for your overall health. Gum disease can lead to strokes, diabetes, heart disease, and more. In order to avoid this, you need to achieve healthy gums and keep them healthy.
Signs of Gum Disease
First, determine the state of your gums. If you think you might have gum disease you should visit your local dentist. Common signs of gum disease are:
- Constant bad taste or breath
- Separating or loose permanent teeth
- Gums that bleed easily
- Swollen, red, or tender gums
- Pus between the teeth or at the gumline
- Gums that have pulled away from your teeth
How To Achieve Healthy Gums and Keep Them Healthy
The best way to achieve healthy gums is by practicing good oral hygiene. Practice the following steps to achieve healthy gums:
- Brush your teeth. Be sure you’re brushing twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. Remember to change your toothbrush every 3-4 months for best results.
- Remember to floss and use a fluoride mouthwash daily. For best results, floss at night before you brush your teeth. Floss removes food and plaque that toothbrushes can’t reach. Mouthwash can help prevent gum disease and remove food particles from the mouth.
- Change your diet. High fibered fruit, vegetables, and dairy products can improve your oral health. If you’re a coffee or tea drinker, try to avoid added sugar and opt for black coffee and green teas. It is best to avoid carbonated drinks, alcohol, sticky candies, and starchy food.
- Be sure you’re visiting the dentist regularly. Professional cleaning is the only way to remove tartar from your teeth. Dentists can also tell early signs of gingivitis and provide you with the best course of action.
Contact Your Dentist
If you’re worried about the state of your gums, take a trip to your local dentist! Your dentist will be able to assess your gum’s current state and give you advice that is best for you. Flatirons Family Dental & Orthodontics is currently accepting new patients, and are happy to help with any tooth or gum problems. Schedule an appointment online today!