Did you know 99% of your calcium is stored in your bones and teeth? That’s right! This nutrient is important and should be incorporated into your daily diet in order to keep your teeth healthy and strong. In fact, a lack of calcium can lead to oral decay and disease.
Most of us have grown up in households where milk was a daily staple, although there are plenty of other calcium rich alternatives that will keep your bones and teeth strong! Read on to learn more about how much calcium you need and how to satisfy your requirements.
How Much Calcium is Necessary?
Calcium isn’t hard to find. You are on the right track if you are consuming a sufficient amount of dairy, fruits, and vegetables. But how much is satisfactory for your age?
Let’s look at calcium intake recommendations by age:
• Kids that are 8 years old or younger should receive 500-800 mg per day
• Children and teens that are between 9-18 years old need 1,300 mg per day
• Adults should aim for 1,000 mg a day
• Adults above the age of 71 need at least 1,200 mg per day
*Calcium needs may vary by gender, especially for women that are pregnant.
Calcium Rich Foods
The following options can help you achieve your recommended calcium value:
• Kale: 101 mg per cup
• Okra: 82 mg per cup
• Broccoli: 86 mg per 2 cups
• Collard Greens: 268 mg per cup
• Edamame: 98 mg per cup
• 1% Milk: 305 mg per cup
• Greek Yogurt: 187 mg per most single-serving containers
• Cheddar Cheese: 202 mg per slice
• White Beans: 63 mg per half cup
• Almonds: 75 mg in 23 whole almonds
• Sardines: 351 mg per 3.75-ounce can
• Oranges: 74 mg per large orange and 27 mg per cup of orange juice
• Canned Salmon: 232 mg per half can
• Tofu: 434 mg per half cup
Calcium as We Age
As our bodies age, so do our mouths! Over time, the structure of our mouth changes and our teeth begin to deteriorate; this makes it imperative that we continue to monitor our calcium levels and practice appropriate oral hygiene.
Your dentist is trained to monitor your teeth and keep your mouth healthy. Make sure to visit your dentist twice a year for a professional teeth cleaning. Schedule an appointment online with Flatirons Family Dental & Orthodontics or give us a call at (720) 304-3267 today!