Mouth Cancer, also known as oral cancer, is a common form of cancer that The American Cancer Association projects will reach nearly 51,540 people in 2018. Unfortunately, about 1/5 of those who cases will be fatal.
At Flatirons Family Dental, we value health. We understand the importance of educating our patients about this disease so that we can all take the correct steps to prevent oral cancer.
What is Oral Cancer?
We produce cells when our bodies need them; however, cancer is caused when cells are produced uncontrollably. These abnormal and abundant number of cells can spread throughout the body causing all sorts of problems. Oral cancer specifically focuses on the production of cells that congregate in the:
- Floor of the mouth
- Roof of the mouth
- Inner lining of the cheeks
Signs of Oral Cancer
Signs of oral cancer can be tricky to detect and the only way to really know is to visit your medical professional. Some common symptoms include:
- Changes in speech, including lisp
- Ulcers that don’t heal within three weeks
- Looseness of teeth
- Unusual swelling, bumps, or lumps in or around your mouth, neck, and head
Preventing Oral Cancer
Sometimes, certain types of cancer can run in the family; although, there are still ways to prevent your risk for this disease. We recommend that you:
- Refrain from smoking cigarettes and limit your alcohol intake.
- If you are a female, receive the HPV vaccination, Gardasil.
- Live a healthy lifestyle. Eat a well-balanced diet of fruits and veggies, stay away from second-hand smoke, and make sure your body receives exercise.
- Visit your dentist at least twice a year for a checkup and professional cleaning.
Schedule Your Appointment for 2019
Limit your chance of oral cancer and receive a clean bill of health in 2019! Schedule your appointment today for your next checkup.