You’re probably finding yourself staying home more than usual lately due to COVID-19. This may have resulted in missing a dentist appointment or two. We recommend still visiting your dentist during this time. But if you had to cancel your appointment, we decided to make a list you can follow for the best at-home dental care tips!
6 At-Home Oral Care Tips
- Ensure that you’re brushing twice a day for at least two minutes each time. This may seem obvious, but forgetting to brush can really impact the health of your teeth. To take your brushing to the next level, try using a tongue scraper after you’re done brushing!
- Along with brushing, flossing is just as important. Think of brushing without flossing as washing your hands but only washing the palms and not in between your fingers. It’s important to floss because it cleans and removes any bacteria that are in between your teeth.
- Try to avoid sugary foods. Bacteria feeds off of sugar creating bad breath, cavities, tooth decay, and more! The more sugar you avoid the better shape your teeth will be in.
- Use fluoride toothpaste or mouth wash. If you’re not able to make it to the dentist you’re not just missing out on professional cleaning, but also a professional fluoride treatment. Ensure that you’re getting fluoride through your toothpaste or mouth wash.
- Don’t brush or floss after immediately consuming acidic beverages. Although this will be something you feel like you want to do after drinking something acidic, acids are known to soften the hard enamel. Teeth are able to combat these acids using saliva. When you brush your teeth you’re stripping away the helpful saliva!
- Be on the lookout for bleeding gums, lumps, and other oral problems. Just because you don’t see anything on a day to day, doesn’t mean something doesn’t exist. If you spot a problem be sure to call your local dentist.
Visit Your Dentist
There is only so much that you can do at home to ensure a healthy dental care routine. For the healthiest smile visit your dentist every six months. Flatirons Family Dental is currently accepting new patients. Find out more information online!